Leicestershire Children's Book Prize
Years 6 and 7 children at the transition stage between primary and secondary schools.
- To promote good children's books in Leicestershire
- To promote reading for pleasure
- To provide a focus for staff to promote children's books in libraries, school, Chatterbooks etc.
- To involve children in talking about books and recommending books to others
- To promote our own staff's awareness of children's books
- To raise the profile of Leicestershire Library Services
- Working with transition stage children
Leicestershire Libraries have produced their very own children’s book prize. The books selected for the long list have popular appeal for children, as well as being well written and there is something to appeal to everyone. Children in Leicestershire will vote for the winner in a variety of ways, including online, in libraries and at Borders Bookstore Leicester. The book prize will give Library Development Workers a chance to get into secondary schools in order to promote the books and will give children a voice to enable them to vote for their favourite books.
Library Development Workers will be doing work with schools in priority neighbourhoods, looked after children, and children in other hard to reach groups.
This book prize will be an ongoing project and will be a legacy for the National Year of Reading.
Borders Bookstore Leicester is sponsoring the book prize and is providing prizes for book reviews alongside a larger prize for the winning school. As well as this Borders will also be promoting the bookprize, hosting events and will have voting in store.
For More Information
Contact Leicestershire's Reader Development Team